Monday, January 31, 2011

Sunday's Grateful Moments

I kinda live for weekends, even though I feel like I don't do enough on weekends. A perfect weekend for me would be a weekend where I could just decompress from everyone. Brandelyn once told me about how powerful it was for her to unplug from everything. I'm going to try that soon. Anyway on to Sunday's grateful moments. 

  1. It's been a week since I sent the email (I guess at some point in time I will have to address the email situation in a blog) and it's been hard. I do miss my friend but I am grateful for forgiveness. See, when I sent the email, which was sent from a place of anger and hurt, I meant everything I said in the email, especially the part that I forgive. I believe I'm getting to a place where I don't hold on to anger too long because it's not really worth it. Besides, true friends shouldn't be angry at each other for long periods of time. I'm not saying true friends don't get any at each other and don't hurt each other, but what I am saying is that TRUE friendship heals anger and hurt, through forgiveness. 
  2. Today, I'm thankful for friendship. Since I sent the email, it's really been an issue about what friendship really looks like to me. (I guess that's another blog I have to get on as well). Last night, during Ladies Night at Mi Casa Lounge, I told Patrice that we were going to a comedy show tonight to support Chris, a friend of mine from the old school. She was totally cool with it. Tonight, we went to a newer Oakland venue to support my old school homie. It was a good time, a bit much for a Sunday night but we had fun. I love that I have Patrice not only supporting me but also telling me when I'm wrong. To me, friendship is about holding friends accountable, through the good and bad. 
  3. Today, I'm grateful for silence. Sometimes, it's not about what you say but it's about what you don't say and how you act in light of what you don't say. As someone who feels, a lot of the time that they have to have the last word in conversations (read: arguments), sometimes the most powerful thing, is the thing you don't say. Do I regret not telling him how I feel? Yeah kinda but I'm not necessarily talking about that kind of silence. There is a powerful silence that happens when you don't say anything and you let things happen.
  4. Today, I'm thankful for laughter and not taking things (or myself) too seriously. I generally don't like stand up comedy. Part of that might have to be the things that I like or find funny aren't generally appealing to everyone. As Patrice and I were driving back to my house, I was telling her about a conversation that I had with someone who suggested that I get into stand up comedy. I joked about how all my jokes would be about Star Wars and Baseball, because those are some of the things that I like. But tonight, while we were at Chris' show, one of the comedians decided to pick on me a little bit, which was fine. I didn't look or say anything too crazy and I kinda just laughed it off. If I was feeling myself, I would have wanted to talk all types of crazy to him but I realized, it wasn't that serious. This man makes his living telling jokes. If he wants to tell a couple of jokes at your expense, as long as he's not insulting or disrespectful, laugh a little and wait until he gets off the stage. What's the worse that could happen? Your friends crack jokes on you for a little while...big deal. In my case tonight, I came away with a new nickname (I'm sure it won't stick too long: Sugar Shoulders). Hahaha, it's all good. Like I said, I don't take myself too seriously so I'm good. 
  5. Today is one more day that I'm grateful to not be a member of the DDS and/or DMS. Again nothing major happening. Just another moment of appreciation. 
When I post this blog, it will be the last Monday in January. I feel like so much time is going past me and I feel like I have so much going on. Let me take some steps to get closer to more inner peace and some of my other goals on my 2011 Vision/Inspiration Board. 

Father, I thank you for another opportunity and another little bit of your grace and mercy. #thatisall

No comments:

Post a Comment