Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Heart Felt Moment

There are moments when what you do for a living are a lot bigger than you. Currently I work at UC Berkeley in the Undergraduate Housing office. The students that I am responsible for assigning housing to are, the freshman and transfer student athletes, the students in the Student Health Worker Program and the students with Special Needs and Accommodations. These students have been the most challenging and the most rewarding at the same time. In some cases, they have Helicopter parents who are super involved in their students' life. In all cases, these students are fighters and have the most determination I've ever seen.

Throughout the school year, I work with students who need accommodations for everything; diabetes management, quadapalegic, chronic illness (including HIV/AIDS), learning disabilites - just everything. One student I worked with had I believe a leg length discrepancy as well as some other life challeneges. We had been working together to get everything in order because he was an incoming freshman and it was first time away from home. I had worked getting him the best housing assignment to benefit him and his condition. We got him into our dorm on the Northside of campus which seems to be a good fit for him because his classes were on that side of campus.

Long story less long, the student just came in today and gave me a gift and card of thanks and appreciation. I was so moved by this act. In the midst of dealing with finals and wrapping up his first semester, he took time out to walk to my office and drop off a nice card and gift for me. That really touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you CV, that was really sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment