Sunday, January 25, 2009

Writing

It's amazing. I said that when things got better, I would write more. You know I would start a story and write and never finish it. I started writing stories as early as elementary school. I remember writing a story about a little girl (me) who ended up playing third base for the Oakland A's. What some of you may or may not know about me is that I used to play third base when I played softball and t-ball. I was pretty good at it. I was so good that I thought it was possible for me to play third base for the A's before I turned 16. Oh to be young with a dream. I had so many of them and I would write about them. It's amazing. My degree is in Journalism and I don't write nearly as much as I should. When I lived on the East Coast, I did a lot of writing. I had to. I either had a section to complete for the school paper, a story idea to submit to the plantation, a journal entry about how things weren't how I thought they would be, a shot sheet - whether it was full of errors or not...I did a lot of writing. Now, four years of being home, I don't have anything to write about. If that isn't a damn lie! Writing, is a lot like cooking for me. It is very therapeutic. I think I'm pretty good at it, and others would agree. The same who would agree that I'm good at it, would also say that I need to do it more often. I remember talking to one of my girl friends from undergrad and I asked her what I should make for dinner. She suggested that I make some fried chicken, because she remembered being a big fan of my chicken. She hadn't had any of my chicken in 6 1/2 years but she remembered it. I remember being on campus shortly after graduation and the former dean of my department asked me to sign a copy of the paper where I had written an editorial on "Super Seniors". I am pretty good at this stuff. I have to be, it comes so natural to me. Whether or not it's grammatically correct is not the issue. I try to write in a way that you can hear my voice through my words. My writings should sound like a conversation that you would have with me. I guess that's my style. And when I get over myself, you'll see. One day I'll get back at it. But until then, I'll give a shout out to my fellow Titan who writes WELL everyday, Synitta. Keep doin' what you do...you never know who's reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment